This assignment will test your research and interpretation skills. Search for political cartoons that comment on the Big Business, working conditions, and Labor Unions from the mid-19th century through the turn of the century. You need to find at least three cartoons coming from each perspective.
- Which perspective is being displayed in this cartoon? How do you know?
- What was the purpose of this political cartoon? What is the message of the cartoon?
- Who was the target audience?
- Do you find the cartoonist effective in the delivery of their message? Explain your thoughts.
- Puck Magazine published many political cartoons related to these topics.
- Joseph Keppler and Thomas Nast were prominent cartoonists of the day.
If you need some direction with getting your analysis started consider using this resource: